comic strip words revisited

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Fri Dec 29 05:33:09 UTC 2006

I'm not aware of a Skeezix strip, though there may have been one.  Gasoline Alley is currently being reprinted in book form under the title Walt and Skeezix, according to Wikipedia.  Nize Baby was a 1926 book and became a Sunday comic the following year.

John Baker

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Alison Murie
Sent: Fri 12/29/2006 12:00 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: comic strip words revisited

>Earlier than 50s for 'Notary Sojac,' a sign that hung on the wall
>(with no relation to the strip goings-on) in the Gasoline Alley
>strip, whose hero was one "Smoky Stover."

>dInIs (lirttle older'n LH; read the funnies in the early 40s)

        No, these were two separate and quite different strips.  Smokey
Stover, a famous screwball strip, appeared from 1935 to 1973.  Gasoline
Alley, a slice-of-life strip where the characters age in real time,
began in 1918 or 1919 and is still being produced.

John Baker
~~~~~~~~
As one who's a little older'n dInIs, thought I'd hafta be the one to
straighten'im out on this, so thank you, John Baker.
There is a little buzz in the back of my head  that "the Gasoline Alley
strip"  woke up.  I think there may have been more than one strip with
Gasoline Alley characters.  Wasn't "Skeezix" a strip on its own?  I never
got much interested in Gasoline Alley, partly, I suppose, in self-defense,
since with a name like Alison Gass, I was a target for some ribbing in the
form of nicknaming.  Didn't stick, though.
/Nize Baby/ wasn't a comic strip, was it?  I remember it as a book by Milt
Gross.  Nize Baby  being cajoled into eating up all of whatever & Momma
would tell him a story, the recurring theme.
By the '50s I had stopped being aware of comics, but by the early '60s when
Mad came to the attention of our family, we ate it up.  For years we had a
grapefruit tree, that  had miraculously  survived under our care from a
sprouting seed to a ceiling-scratching specimin, that we called "Arthur" in
honor of the little potted plant in MAd.
AM