Just wondering

Brenda Lester alphatwin2002 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Dec 29 22:19:40 UTC 2006

1) I grew up in central Georgia. Yes, I've heard the word used by whites over the years.

  2) "Pocketbook" and "purse" are interchangeable.
  I've always considered a purse to be smaller than a pocketbook. A pocketbook has all your work-a-day junk in it; a purse is for a few necessary items.

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
  1) Is the pronunciation "bissep" [b at sEp] for "except" also used by
white Southerners? Or is this a black thang that white follk wouldn't
understand?

2) Is there anyone for whom the words "pocketbook" and "purse" denote
different objects? Not "can" or 'could," but _do_.

-Wilson

-----
-Sam'l Clemens

http://mail.yahoo.com