Chad (paper chip[s]) 1930-1932, 1938-1940

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Sat Dec 30 13:09:07 UTC 2006

Quoting "Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET>:
[....]
> US Pat. #1,884,755: "Coupon Printer", filed 16 Oct. 1930, patented 25 Oct.
> 1932: p. 7:
>
> <<There is also provided a receptacle or chad box 175 (Fig. 1) adapted to
> be removably inserted between the vertical arms of bracket 68 (Fig. 6) and
> disposed below die 72 to receive the chips cut from the edge of the tape.>>
[....]
> IMHO, one cannot determine with certainty whether "chad" was considered
> countable or not in these items. In the second instance, "chaff chute" is
> apparently equated to "chad chute", implying that "chad[s]" was considered
> interchangeable or synonymous with "chaff", I think, FWIW.
>
> Etymology still uncertain, IMHO.
>
> -- Doug Wilson

Thanks. Here's speculation. If chad meant worthless paper, chaff,
before WW II,
might the Mr. Chad graffito with the words "wot no____" (water, beer, turkey,
beef, etc.) relate to ration coupons, effectively worthless paper when no
supplies were at hand?

Stephen Goranson