Y'all in 1800s; Line in the Sand; Cheeks A-Flexin'

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Dec 30 18:04:58 UTC 2006

Y'ALL
I'm at a "Y'all" loss because OED won't revise this entry for about another
decade, and DARE and HDAS aren't there yet, either. I wrote a "Y'all" entry
for  y'all to see, tracing "y'all" to (among other cites) a Texas novel in 1856.
 Also, I've included "Howdy, y'all!" and "Y'all come back!"
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/yall/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/yall/)
LINE IN THE SAND (continued)
Today's Austin American-Statesman is really overdoing it for today's Alamo
Bowl between Texas and Iowa. The cover of the Sports Extra section reads:
"Horns  draw line in the sand." There's a letter from William Barret Travis,
followed by  a letter from Texas Head Coach WIlliam Mack Brown:
"I am besieged, by 13,000 or more Iowans under Kirk Ferentz--I have
sustained continual Bombardment and Second Guessing since the Battle of  Manhattan
(Kansas State--ed.)--The opponent has demanded surrender--I have  answered the
demand with Smokey the Cannon & our flag still waves proudly--I  shall never
surrender or retreat or even punt--Victory or Defeat."
("Victory or Death" would have been a bit much--ed.)
CHEEKS-A-FLEXIN' (continued)
A bit more.
_http://whatsrightisleft.blogspot.com/2006/11/bumper-sticker-youll-never-see.h
tml_
(http://whatsrightisleft.blogspot.com/2006/11/bumper-sticker-youll-never-see.html)

Thursday, November 09, 2006
Bumper Sticker You'll Never See

Whilst visiting one of the restrooms in my liberal  community of Boulder the
following was scribed on the wall of said  enclosure:

Here I sit cheeks a flexin...
Giving birth to another Texan.

Followed by:

Here I sit squeezing my tush...