How Bush talks

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Sat Dec 30 18:41:31 UTC 2006

Wasn't it Arvilla Payne who studied the effect of "outsider" parents on the
dialect acquisition of children?  The senior Bushies (oops--Bushes) would
have some influence on their kids, but the local peer group (in Texas)
would be dominant.  So GW's "authentic" accent is colored by his mixed
background, as well as by later influences, including the public
persona.  Note how different Jeb Bush sounds; we know that adult moves to
other areas can influence the "core" accent, as they clearly have in his case.

GW's public accent is colored by his unfortunate "reading out loud" voice,
with its "a" pronounced not as schwa but as [e] and, as noted, his
voiceless /s/ in all contexts, as well as his over-segmentation of
words.  I suspect he'd never hire a coach to teach him "Texan" (he's very
proud of his roots, mixed though they may be), but he's clearly been
influenced by reading teachers and/or public-speaking coaches.