"Knock off its horns and wipe its ass" (Texan ordering steak "rare")

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 31 05:29:34 UTC 2006

I just finished a bunch of neat entries. I have a little earlier on "You  can
always tell an (X) man, but you can't tell him much." The Yale Book of
Quotations left out some great Dan Rather-isms.
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/you_can_always_tell_a_texan_b
ut_you_cant_tell_him_much/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/you_can_always_tell_a_texan_but_you_cant_tell_him_much/)
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/hotter_than_a_laredo_parking_
lot_dan_rather_election_night_2000/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/hotter_than_a_laredo_parking_lot_dan_rather_election_night_2000/)
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/too_much_aint_enough_lone_sta
r_cafe_nyc_darrell_royal/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/too_much_aint_enough_lone_star_cafe_nyc_darrell_royal/)
Does anyone know this "ordering steak very rare" phrase? It appears in at
least three movies and in several joke collections, almost always with a Texas
association.
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/knock_off_its_horns_wipe_its_
ass_and_throw_it_on_the_plate_texan_ordering_r/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/knock_off_its_horns_wipe_its_ass_and_throw_it_on_the_plate
_texan_ordering_r/)

“Knock off its horns, wipe its ass, and throw it on the plate”  (Texan
ordering “rare” steak)

"Knock off its horns, wipe its ass, and throw it on the plate” is a
stereotypical order of “rare” steak by a Texan visiting a steakhouse. The line
appeared in the Australian film Barry McKenzie Holds His Own (1974), the  film The
Cowboy Way (1994), the film Cowboy Up (2000, released in  2001), and the
television series 24 with Keifer Sutherland as Jack Bauer.

_How  Would You Like That Cooked, Sir?[rec.humor.funny]_
(http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/96q1/steak.html)
The other day, a  friend of mine (from Texas) and I went out to a local
steakhouse.  This is  the dialog that followed after I made my order.

WAITRESS:  And for  you, sir?
JOHN:  I’ll have the top sirloin.
WAITRESS:  And how  would you like that cooked.
JOHN:  Just whack off the horns, wipe its  ass, and throw it on the plate.
WAITRESS:  Rare?
JOHN:  Rare.

_Jokebook  #1_ (http://www.textfiles.com/humor/JOKES/joke002.jok)
... And that kind of reminds me of one time that I was in a steak  house in
Austin. Guy came in and sat at the table next to us and ordered a  sirloin. The
waitress asked him how he wanted it and he answered, “Knock off its  horns,
wipe its a** and walk it through the kitchen.”

_Myspace.com_ (http://profile.
myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=35307650)
“Knock off its horns and wipe its ass...I’m HONGRY!”
Male
66 years  old
AUSTIN, TEXAS
United States
Last Login: 12/19/2006

_Internet Movie Database_ (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071196/quotes)
Memorable Quotes from
Barry McKenzie Holds His Own (1974)
Hugo Cretin: How would you like your steak, sir?
Barry McKenzie: Just  knock off its horns, wipe its arse and bung it on a
plate.

_The Movie Quotes  Site_
(http://www.moviequotes.com/fullquote.cgi?qnum=61160)
QUOTE Just knock off its horns, wipe its nasty ole ass, and chuck  it right
down on the plate
MOVIE TITLE Cowboy Way, The - 1994

_Deseret  Morning News_
(http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20060613/ai_n16478528)
Small plates are not ‘in’ for eaters
Deseret News (Salt  Lake City), Jun 13, 2006 by Doug Robinson Deseret Morning
News
(...)
Eaters aren’t real particular. Our attitude about meat, for instance, was
pretty much summed up by the Woody Harrelson character in the movie “Cowboy Up.”
  When a waiter in a fancy restaurant asks him how he wants his steak cooked,
 Harrelson replies, “Just knock off the horns and plop her down on my plate!”

_Jack  Bauer Fun Facts!_
(http://www.tvshowboards.com/24/moderator/JackFacts.html)
When asked at a restaurant how he likes his steak, Jack  Bauer replies, “Just
knock off the horns and wipe its ass.”

_Google  Groups: alt.california_
(http://groups.google.com/group/alt.california/browse_thread/thread/857f06be21041d91/7867625103871c7e?lnk=st&q=rare+and+ste
ak+and+"off+the+horns"+and+plate&rnum=2&hl=en#7867625103871c7e)
From:  Aviator
Date:  Mon, Nov 27  2000 12:00 am

Utter crap, sir!! When I order a steak, I ask the cook to  knock off the
horns, wipe its ass, run it by the grill, and put it on a  plate!!!

_MountainGetaway.com_ (http://www.mountaingetaway.com/)
When you’re  on vacation, Fine Dining means:
(...)
c.) Knock off the horns, slap it  on the rump and send it in steakhouse

_Hollywood  Cowboy_
(http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=40455233)
...and when you’re hungry, what happens to the bull?
Knock  off the horns, wipe his ass, slap him on a plate and put him in from
of me…

_Credit  Boards: Tell me the truth_
(http://creditboards.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t202196.html)
That’s how my dad likes his steak. He  typically says “Just knock off the
horns and slap it on a plate for me.” My mom  is the extreme opposite. She says
to pretty much BURN it to make sure it’s  well-done

_ClutchFans -  Steak_
(http://bbs.clutchfans.net/archive/index.php/t-84597.html)
raw10628
10-11-2004, 12:01 AM
As far as steak goes it’s  gotta be rare (knock off its horns, wipe it’s ass
and bring it to me, kinda  rare), slightly seasoned, with no sauces.

_MartialTalk.com_
(http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-17715.html)
OUMoose
09-29-2004, 11:26 AM
(...)
Or, as I tell waiters, “knock  off its horns, wipe its butt, and bring it to
the table”.