dot-calm

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Dec 31 22:26:21 UTC 2006

I distinguish [dot] com from calm -- the latter is (speaking as a
layman in phonetics) longer (but for me, without an L).  I also
distinguish cot from caught.  But I also distinguish both of the
latter two from either of the former two.

I don't know if these are phonemic distinctions for me -- I don't
want to search for minimal pairs from com and calm to cot (my caught
is sufficiently different) -- but at least I hear them differently
when I speak them.

Joel