'Put your best face forward' / 'I could care less'

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 3 18:22:23 UTC 2006

I've never heard or read "best face forward" till now, Deo gratias.
However, I first heard "I could care less!" from the mouths of members
of the training cadre when I was in Army basic training in 1959. They
used it all the time. E.g. the sergeant in charge of teaching field
first aid opened his lecture by saying:

"You can pay attention or not. [Shouted:] I COULD CARE LESS! In
combat, the dead have to bury te dead, because the living don't have
time to fuck with them!"

However, the reaction of us trainees was the same as that of Damien's
BrE speakers: utterly ungrammatical.

But, once that I had graduated from basic, "I could care less" became
no more common in random speech than, e.g. the word "cadre."
Sometimes, it was used to mock the lifers, but that was about it. In
fact, in my experience, the phrase is still a rarity.

-Wilson