"Scritch"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Feb 3 20:54:28 UTC 2006

Why, I don't know, but recall the cartoon too. I interpreted it to mean that "scritch" represented a somewhat softer sound.

  The word hasn't entered my active vocabulary though.

  JL

"Joanne M. Despres" <jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Joanne M. Despres"
Subject: Re: "Scritch"

I'm definitely familiar with the sense you describe. It's in my active
vocabulary (perhaps because I was a "Peanuts" reader as a kid).
But it's nowhere to be found in the M-W citation files.

I don't know whether Schultz invented the word, but it seems likely
enough. The only other senses I've found attested in the files were
a dialectal variant of "screech" (in W3) and a noun denoting the
sound of scraping or scratching (as of animal's feet on the hard
surface).

Joanne