tar > paint > taint ?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 9 19:21:37 UTC 2006

FWIW, a minor annotation. There are still places where literal tarring
is an everyday occurrence. In, for example, St. Louis, tar is commonly
used to weather-proof the roofs of houses and other buildings. The
roofers have small wheeled furnaces resembling a miniature locomotive
firebox that they use to keep the tar liquid while they work.
Unfortunately, the odor of molten tar is not a pleasant one.

BTW, I've never understood how a person could go through a
tarring-and-feathering without suffering serious bodily harm or even
death.Yet I've never even heard of anyone being permanently injured,
let alone killed, by it.

-Wilson