Q: "portagraion" -- a "mathematical instrument" circa 1745?

James Landau jjjrlandau at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Feb 10 23:06:30 UTC 2006

Two more responses from the Historia Matematica mailing list:

     ****  response 1  *****

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 15:27:55 +0100
From: venedem <ud.venedem at wanadoo.fr>
Subject: Re: [HM] "portagraion" -- a "mathematical instrument" circa 1745?

Apparently, it is quoted from an old catalogue of instruments, and it
comes just after "drawing Pens". My suggestion is "portagraion" could
mean "Porte-crayon", that is a box to keep various pens. Have a amused
look at

http://chezlorry.ca/EvenSpec/FeteMere/Bricolages/Portecrayon.htm

Udai Venedem
http://aaaa.fr.eu.org/alta.mathematica/

[Udai Venedem is a French rare book dealer, specializing I believe in
mathematical books]

     **** response 2 ****