"gwine"'

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Feb 11 00:47:03 UTC 2006

Just remembered the song "Camptown Races", with the chorus

Going to run all night, Going to run all day
I bet my money on the bob-tailed nag Somebody bet on the bay

How is "going" pronounced in recordings?  My
memory hears "gwayen", one syllable, with the
"aye" as in "aye, aye, captain" or the German
"ein".  Although I imagine some sing it quickly as "go-in".

And there are 257 Google hits for "camptown
races" words gwine (but 22,300 for "camptown races" words going).

Joel