On Language on Heck

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Feb 13 12:25:18 UTC 2006

Or, unfamiliar with both "hech" and "heck," she could have written "heck" because that's what it sounded like. Or a proofreader misread Stowe's handwritten "h" for a "k."

  An interesting question is whether "heck" derives from "hech," generalized from an interjection to a noun.

  JL

"Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Baker, John"
Subject: Re: On Language on Heck

An interesting and plausible theory, which I overlooked only
because I have never heard of "Hech." Of course, even if the boy did
say "Hech," the way Stowe recorded it shows that she understood it as
the "heck" we know. However, the theory would undercut a British origin
for "heck" (for which I have no evidence, other than this one early
cite).

John Baker