"take and VP"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 14 15:43:25 UTC 2006

For a large part of  my life, I've considered forms like:

I took and hit him

to be peculiar to Black English. However, I've now heard
this used by white people from states as disparate as
Connecticut and Illinois. A colleague from Connecticut
used it, bot only on very rare occasions.

However, on today's Jerry Springer Show, there was a
white guy from Illinois who used "take and VP" in
practically every sentence, to a degree actually far greater
than I'm accustomed to hearing from black speakers. He
said things like:

If she really loved me, she wouldn't've _took and slept_
with other guys

When she asked me for things, I _took and gave_ them to
her, but she still _took and went out_ with other guys

He happened to say, "We're both from the same state, Illinois."
Unfortunately, he didn't say what location in Illinois. Oddly,
neither of the other two people that he was interacting with
used "take and VP" at all.

-Wilson Gray