"Fair Use" Not in OED

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Tue Feb 14 15:50:46 UTC 2006

How do we know when a term is a term. If I said

"He didn't make very fair use of his background advantages among his
schoolmates" I take that not to be a term.

But if I say

"That's not in accordance with the fair use principle of copyright."

it is.

Might not the 1847 use be part of the birth of a term rather than a
term itself? How can we tell the difference between a completely
transparent collocation and its emergence as a term?

Just thinkin.

dInIs

>         I understand that the term is used in Curtis, A Treatise on the
>Law of Copyright 236 - 37 (1847), in the chapter on Infringement of
>Copyright, the first paragraph of which reportedly includes this
>passage:  "[W]e must bear in mind that while the primary object of the
>law of copyright is protection to the product of all literary labor, the
>interests of knowledge demand a reasonable freedom in the use of all
>antecedent literature. To administer the law in such a manner as not to
>curtail the fair use of existing materials, in any department of
>letters, is one of the great tasks of jurisprudence."
>

>John Baker

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English