"take and VP"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 14 17:19:09 UTC 2006

I agree with you there, dInIs. If the the white speakers had had any
traces of Down Home in their speech, I wouldn't have thought much of
it. I would have thought, "It's just a  Southern thing, to be
expected." I remember an embarrassing moment from my Army days. I
heard some black GI's talking behind a closed door. Since black guys
were rather rare in elite, non-combat units like the Army Security
Agency, I just barged in to see who they were, where they were from,
how they came to be in the Agency, etc.

Well, it turnrd out to be a roomful of white GI's. I was so startled
that I don't remember how I explained away my having walked in without
bothering to knock. In any case, they were all from Louisiana, so I
told them that I was from deep East Texas, only a hoot and a holler
from Sreepote and we sat around shooting the shit, for a while.

BTW, this social anomaly may interest you, dInIs. In those days, late
'50's to early '60's, it was working-class soldiers from the North who
demonstrated the most racial animosity against their black
counterparts, not the Southern soldiers, whatever their class. It was
like "You understand. There's nothing to laugh about in the way we
talk. You know what sweetmilk and lighbread are. You eat hamhocks and
black-eyed peas, mustard/turnip/collard greens. Here in Germany, we're
all Southerners together." When we weren't on duty, I called not only
the first sergeant, but also his *wife*, by their first names. They
were Alabamians and my father was a native of Alabama. So, it was like
"Old Home Week" when I got together with them. On the other hand, the
Northern GI's referred to him as The Buzzard behind his back and
ignored the existence of his wife.

There was another time when a white Louisianan felt such a connection
with me as a fellow Southerner that he got out his prep-school
yearbook to impress me with whaat a BMOC he had been, forgetting that
the yearbook revealed that, among his various other accomplishments,
he had been president of his school's Young White Citizens Council. I
pretended not to have noticed that, so as not to embarrass him.

-Wilson