learn something new every day

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Feb 16 00:11:45 UTC 2006

So "bring smoke on" antedates the mid to late ' 60s ?

  In fact, it's far more common in Vietnam memoirs than "bring pee on," which the writers (or their copy editors) never spell as "bring P."

  So naive am I that I assumed "bring pee" to refer to

  a. a stream of machine-gun tracers at night, and

  b. the physiological result of having a stream of tracers being directed at you as an individual.

  Hence the name of this thread.

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: learn something new every day

Whoa, Jon! That *is* interesting. The Vietnam usage looks like a blend of
the form, "bring P on" in its "fuck over" sense, with the form, "bring smok=
on," in its "shoot at" sense, with "bring P on," for whatever reason, being
selected in place of "bring smoke on" as the canonic form. I was aware of
the "misuse" of "bring P on" in Vietnam and had long wondered why the
"correct" "bring smoke on" was not used. Perhaps "bring smoke on" was
regarded as too concrete, "fuck over" not being included in it as a possibl=
meaning. If "bring P on" is used, there's a pun.

-Wilson