"Piled Higher and Deeper"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Feb 16 01:27:56 UTC 2006

We all know that this refers to the Alps of useless learning we have acquired with along with our doctoral degrees.

  But when did the phrase begin?  Surely not with Dr. Johnson.

  Th earliest ex. in print seems to be from 1985, but I feel sure I heard it in the late ' 70s.  Now comes a writer who connects it with (sorry, guys) Yale in the years before 1960.

  Any insights ?  Any first-person testimonials ?

  JL