Query: "birds and bees"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Feb 16 13:01:54 UTC 2006

So that means that T. rex...

  Man, this is too weird.

  JL

Dave Wilton <dave at WILTON.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Dave Wilton
Subject: Re: Query: "birds and bees"

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Laurence Horn
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 4:57 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

>>Uh, John, birds reproduce by fucking.

>This is off topic, perhaps, but according to information provided
>this week on another list I subscribe to, "Swans are the only birds
>with penises!" (exclamation point in original). I feel a tension
>between the two claims above, and I'm not sure how to resolve it.
>
>LH

Most birds do not have penises. Sperm is stored in a compartment in the male
cloaca and passed to the female cloaca during copulation via a "cloacal
kiss," less like fucking and more like a feathery tribadism.

Ducks do have penises, as do ostriches, emus, rheas, and turkeys. I don't
know if swans, like ducks, do, but if so they're not unique, but a member of
small club among birds.

At one time, all birds had penises, but most species lost them somewhere
along the evolutionary path. A humbling thought for half the population.

See http://pharyngula.org/index/science/comments/penis_evolution/ and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aves#Reproduction

--Dave Wilton
dave at wilton.net