creaky voice (was Re: "Method Air" (1995))

Michael McKernan mckernan at LOCALNET.COM
Sat Feb 18 05:59:48 UTC 2006

Ben Zimmer wrote:

>Jacobellis is from Stratton, Vt., FWIW. But I'd guess creaky voice is
>common among female snowboarders regardless of regional background.

Ben's right to be skeptical of 'Stratton, Vt.' as an indicator of actual
'regional background.'  Stratton is pretty much just a large ski-area, with
an associated 'Stratton Mountain School' where some of the top young USA
competitors attend (boarding) high school.  It's highly unlikely that any
top skier who lists Stratton VT as a home address was 'born and raised'
there.