[CreoleTalk] Question: Irish American Vernacular English

Sat Feb 18 19:16:34 UTC 2006

That web page is about the same fellow who posted to this list for a
short time with the same unproven theories, until he was asked to
provide evidence and then vanished. For the most part, his ideas
about the supposed origin of Irish words were not substantiated by
printed, connectable sources and relied upon little more than the
vaguest phonological similarities.

In short, his connecting of the term "teas" to "jazz" is an example
of crying Wolof and is accepted by no authority that I know.

Karen's email is not in the message you forwarded and I no longer
subscribe CreoleTalk, so feel free to send this message to her or to
that list.

On Feb 18, 2006, at 13:47, Beverly Flanigan wrote:

> I'm back on the list after many months away, and I'm struck by the
> query below from the Creole Talk list manager. "Jazz" is from
> Irish? (I don't recall Barry's research on this offhand--sorry!)
> Check the blue link too.  Anyone want to communicate with her?
>> > http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Linguistics/irish.html

Grant Barrett
gbarrett at worldnewyork.org
http://www.doubletongued.org/