on behalf of a researcher

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Feb 20 04:30:00 UTC 2006

        I think this 1843 use is most likely derived from Exodus ("I am
that I am") and is unrelated to "It is what it is," unless the latter is
also influenced by Exodus.

        Incidentally, I do sometimes say "It is what it is."  Contrary
to others' suggestions, it is not, at least in my usage, a device for
shutting off discussion.  Rather, it is a way of moving from Issue A, as
to which there is a known or unknown but determinable answer beyond our
control, to closely related Issue B, where we can have some influence.
"Well, we don't know yet whether it's a 1934 Act registered company, but
it is what it is.  In any case, were its disclosure obligations met
here?"

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of George Thompson
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 5:24 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: on behalf of a researcher

If I may obfuscate this issue.

I was reading a low newspaper from NYC, 1843 this afternoon when I came
upon this headline:
"The New York Sporting Whip versus The New York Sporting Herald -- The
Editor of the Whip supoosed to be somebody else -- We prove that "he am
just what he am," and not James Gordon Bennett."  The New York Sporting
Whip, February 25, 1843, p. 2, col. 4.

    The NY Sporting Whip was a weekly devoted to lowlife, scandal, and
laddish sports: horseracing, prizefighting, ratting, even
badger-baiting.  James Gordon Bennett was the publisher and editor of
The Herald, a daily genreally scorned by the right thinking.  Evidently
he had begun a second newspaper devoted to sports, which I haven't
otherwise encountered.  It appears that there was speculation that the
editor of the Sporting Whip also wrote for the Sporting Herald, but he
here denies it.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.