"Tristan" now feminine given name

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 23 14:33:21 UTC 2006

FWIW, there are a couple of neo-blaxploitation movies out featuring a
woman called "Madea" [m^di@]. I could be wrong, but this strikes as
punning on the fact that one of the usual BE pronunciations of "mother
dear" very nearly falls together with the sE pronunciation of "Medea."

I'm not sure how much competition there is between "mama" and "mother
dear." E.g., my mother addresses and refers to her mother as "Mama."
However, my grandmother always referred to my  mother as "yo'/y'all's
mother dear" and my brothers and I always addressed our mother as
"Mother Dear" and referred to her the same way. Being "boojie," we've
always used the spelling pronunciation. The "standard" BE practice is
to address one's mother as "muh-DEE-uh," but to refer to her as
"muthuh de-uh." Cf. the blues line, "I liiked at my mother dear and I
didn't even crack a smile."

-Wilson