"Tristan" now feminine given name

Brenda Lester alphatwin2002 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Feb 23 22:53:01 UTC 2006

My friend since high school was named Jim by her father. He wanted a boy, of course.

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:  My mother has a woman friend down home in Texas named "Johnnie." Back
in St. Louis, I had a male acquaintance whose first name was "Fay."
"Fay" was also used as a hypochoristic equivalent of "ofay." The poor
guy took a lot of ribbing, given that his ancestral line was probably
black back to Africa.

-Wilson

On 2/23/06, Jonathan Lighter  wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society
> Poster:       Jonathan Lighter
> Subject:      Re: "Tristan" now feminine given name
>
> You mean to say that by a commodius vicus of recirculation, Allison is again a feminine name. Or still, as the case may be.
>
>  "Alysoun" is the name of the female lead in the "The Miller'sTale."  I've known several female "Allisons." (That was in the last century,  however.)
>
>   And I once knew a female dental hygienist named "Johnnie."
>
>   JL
>
> James Callan  wrote:

 Yahoo! Mail