"Tristan" now feminine given name

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Thu Feb 23 23:06:39 UTC 2006

We have some friends whose daughters are named Robbie and Dani (sp?).  Of course, the tendency to use traditionally boys' names for girls is well known.  How often does it go the other way? Examples?  I have two brothers-in-law whose names are Robin and Kerry.  The former I know has been used as a boy's name for a long time, but even as a kid, I always felt uneasy about a boy being named Robin.  Well, I still can't get used to Kerry.
Fritz

>>> alphatwin2002 at YAHOO.COM 2/23/2006 2:53 PM >>>
My friend since high school was named Jim by her father. He wanted a boy, of course.

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:  My mother has a woman friend down home in Texas named "Johnnie." Back
in St. Louis, I had a male acquaintance whose first name was "Fay."
"Fay" was also used as a hypochoristic equivalent of "ofay." The poor
guy took a lot of ribbing, given that his ancestral line was probably
black back to Africa.

-Wilson

On 2/23/06, Jonathan Lighter  wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society
> Poster:       Jonathan Lighter
> Subject:      Re: "Tristan" now feminine given name
>
> You mean to say that by a commodius vicus of recirculation, Allison is again a feminine name. Or still, as the case may be.
>
>  "Alysoun" is the name of the female lead in the "The Miller'sTale."  I've known several female "Allisons." (That was in the last century,  however.)
>
>   And I once knew a female dental hygienist named "Johnnie."
>
>   JL
>
> James Callan  wrote:

 Yahoo! Mail