"Nobody sets out to make a bad movie" (1965)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 24 14:57:58 UTC 2006

NOBODY + TO MAKE A BAD MOVIE--590 Google hits
Does Fred Shapiro have this movie cliche?
_http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060224/ENT01/602240427/1036
/ENT_
(http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060224/ENT01/602240427/1036/ENT)

Director peddles cliches with a smirk
'Running Scared' is as bad as it gets
February 24, 2006

Having thought hard, if not all that long, about the ugly mess that is
"Running Scared," I have arrived at an extremely cynical conclusion.
Though there is an adage that says "No one ever sets out to make a bad
movie," director Wayne Kramer has not only done exactly that, he's looking to  rub
somebody's face in it.
_Profit  Picture Improving With Movies_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=501063812&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP
&TS=1140792503&clientId=65882)
CHARLES CHAMPLIN.  Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles,
Calif.: Nov 8, 1965. p. C19 (1 page)
He adds that, "The only thing I really have to offer is my experience,
whatever learning I've gotten from past mistakes. I think by now I can judge if
the public will want to see a picture. No one starts to make a bad movie. If you
 do or not depends on your judgement."
(Jack L. Warner--ed.)
_New  Hollywood: Cautionary Notes_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=501126642&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1
140792590&clientId=65882)
Los Angeles Times  (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Nov 17, 1965. p.
C15 (1 page)
No one, says a Hollywood tag, sets out to make a bad movie; they just
happen.
_So  Little From So Much_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=2&did=511883322&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1140792590
&clientId=65882)
CHARLES CHAMPLIN. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.:
 Jul 9, 1967. p. C11 (1 page)
The standard line is that nobody ever sets out to make a bad movie. And
that's always true, particularly if you go by a front office definition which
says a bad picture is one which doesn't make money and a good picture is one
which does.
It can also be said that nobody sets out to make a disappointing film. But,
at a guess, a film critic could use "disappointing" about as often as any word
 in his lexicon.