new (non-)coinage ("vagitarian")

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 27 21:13:51 UTC 2006

>I have friends who refer to themselves as "freegan"

ah, one from an old WOTY category (can't recall if it won), but
clearly a blend of "free" and "vegan".  And then there's our old
"flexitarian", which could be evidence for -tarian, except that it's
clearly a blend of "flexi(ble)" and "vegetarian".  What we need to
see is a free-standing -tarian suffix (whence my nomination of
"veggietarian", along with M.G.'s of "pescatarian").

LH

>  and
>as "opportunitarian",

this could be "opportunity" + "-arian", though, so (as with
"fruitarian") no evidence either way.