Antedating of "baseball" (except Jane Austen)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Feb 28 17:01:47 UTC 2006

Well, all I assumed is that it was earlier than OED3.  You presumably
have searched EANewspapers; as I wrote previously, I did not.

As for searches in EAN, the last I attempted was for "parado" (with
an O), between 1830 and 1900.  Many, many hits--but the dozen or so I
sampled towards the end of that period were all "parade" (with an
E)--with an excruciatingly slow page display. Also, none highlighted
(EAN sometimes does highlight).  I quit a slow, useless search
(unless I am missing something in EAN to inform it that I want a
final O, not an E), to return to my primary project--Hawthorne's use
of 18th century newspapers.  I will submit the "parado", 1833, that I
encountered there, and found via microfilm.  EAN missed it (although
perhaps because it does not contain the relevant newspaper).

Joel