OT query: "Elise"--slang in German?

Tom Kysilko pds at VISI.COM
Tue Feb 28 19:47:28 UTC 2006

Our daughter's first piano teacher claimed that "Elise" in the title of the
Beethoven piano piece was a mis-reading of sploppily-written "Therese" and that
this Therese was in fact a student of Beethoven's.  OTOH, the piece has been
widely known as "Für Elise" for so long that the correct title may not matter
linguistically.

On your first question, this same daughter currently lives in Vienna and may be
able to respond.

--Tom Kysilko