Oral history on "uptight" (1966)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 1 03:06:23 UTC 2006

An excellent point, Jon. Perhaps it seems prescriptive to me because it was
taught to me when I was a mere child too young to understand that any fool
can write a descriptive rule and call it "prescriptive." Probably explains
why this rule has always seemed to be so amazingly obvious. Like, I *never*
got it wrong on tests. Not that I ever had any trouble with tests. Only with
thesis-writing.

How about this, then? Were others here taught a particular set of principle
parts as belonging to "wake" verbs? I had to learn the following:

wake (up)  waked (up)  waked (up)

wake (up) woke (up)  wakened (*up)

awake  awoke  awoken

awake  awaked  awakened

awaken  awakened  awakened

And Larry, sorry about that. It was just a senior mo  Damn! Where was I
going with that? Oh, well.
--
-Wilson