Origin of "King Kong" (Chinese? Courting frogs?)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jan 1 19:34:48 UTC 2006

Now that I have DA in front of me, I see that I am totally insane.  Sorry.

  JL

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Origin of "King Kong" (Chinese? Courting frogs?)

In a message dated 1/1/2006 9:16:47 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM writes:

I don't have DA handy, but ISTR an entry for "King Cong," an early critical
epithet for the U.S. Congress.

_IMPERIAL CONGRESS; It has tripled its own payroll, abandoned its deference
to the President and tilted, alarmingly, the scales of constitutional power.
_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=116495896&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=12&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1136126233&clientId=65882)
BY JOSEPH A. CALIFANO JR.. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York,
N.Y.: Jan 23, 1994. p. SM40 (2 pages)
First page:
Congress has become the King Cong of Washington's political jungle,
dominating an executive branch that can no longer claim the coequal status that the
Founding fathers saw as crucial.