"take the money and run"

Tue Jan 3 00:50:06 UTC 2006

On Jan 2, 2006, at 3:59 PM, Barry Popik wrote:

> "My Zelda! She took the money and run Venezuela."
> --Allan Sherman, MY SON THE FOLK SINGER (1962, before the Woody
> Allen  movie)
> _http://mywebpages.comcast.net/allansherman/lpfolksinger.html_
> (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/allansherman/lpfolksinger.html)
> Recorded: Live on August 6, 1962
> in Hollywood California
> Released: October, 1962
> My Zelda
> Parody of Ma-tilda by Harry  Belafonte

the Belafonte Mathilda (which is still earlier, of course) goes "she
take me money and run, Venezuela", presumably a jamaican creole
version of "she took my money and ran to Venezuela", and so possibly
just a ordinary sentence and not a riff on a catchphrase "take the
money and run".  but maybe...

arnold