White Christmas

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Jan 3 04:35:09 UTC 2006

        I believe that Sagehen's remark about how "it" must have arisen
was in reference to the old saying that a green Christmas means a full
churchyard (i.e., that it was from the notion that cold weather was
needed to arrest diseases).  My take was the same.

        Although White Christmas was not copyrighted until later, there
is some reason to believe it was written in 1937.  From National Review
Online, http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/gamble200512220845.asp:
"While some uncertainty surrounds the origins of "White Christmas," many
music historians believe Irving Berlin wrote it during the 1937
Christmas period when staying at the Beverly Hills Hotel. He was making
a movie at the time, and was homesick for his family, New York, and its
seasonal snow. After it was written, the song sat in a drawer for five
years."

        I confess that the New Yorker cartoon I cited was indeed
published 12/24/1932, not 1934.  No plausible excuse immediately comes
to mind.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Mark A. Mandel
Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2006 8:46 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: White Christmas

        [AM, 12 Dec:]
Its origins are probably Old World, given the old saying that a green
Christmas means a full churchyard.  It must have arisen in contrast to
the
notion that a healthier season would need enough winter weather by
Christmastime to arrest some diseases.

        [MAM, 31 Dec, catching up:]
Its origins are probably Old World, given the old saying that a green
Christmas means a full churchyard.  It must have arisen in contrast to
the
notion that a healthier season would need enough winter weather by
Christmastime to arrest some diseases.

        [AM, 31 Dec:]
I asumed we were talking about something more than just an expression
that
could  as easily have been about shoes or rooftops. "White Christmas"
as a
hoped-for event, as in the Berlin song: a cultural trope.

        [MAM again now, realtime, 1 Jan; happy New Year, all!:]

Well, it's clearly hoped-for in the Berlin song, but not in any of the
antedates to that in John Baker's post that started this thread (below).

 - The New Yorker cartoon (actually from 1932, annotated "Perry Barlow
(12/24/1932)", number 789 on the CD) could well be hopeful,
 - but the 1878 cite is if anything negative in affect.
 - And to my mind all the positive affect in the 1874 cite comes from
the
surrounding words, "clean... pure and crisp": "white" is simply literal.

(By the way, Berlin seems to have written the song in 1940, not 1937,
and
the movie that made it famous, "Holiday Inn", was released in 1942.
<http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=850892> .
 The fuzzy sheet-music image at
<http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/smp_inside.html?cart=10120306010&it
em=3772132&page=01>
seems to say at the bottom "Copyright 1940, 1942 by Irving Berlin".)

Which brings me back to my question: Is there any clear sense of "white
Christmas" as a cultural trope, a hoped-for event, prior to the Berlin
song?
The evidence has dwindled to one cartoon caption. And if not -- or even
if
so -- what need is there to derive it by opposition from the mid-19c
ominous
"green Christmas"?

-- Mark A. Mandel