eggcorn or flubbed dialect? non-standard uses of non-standard 'oughtened'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 3 19:16:04 UTC 2006

>I doubt this is an eggcorn, but I want each of you to read my post.
>
>I just this morning stumbled across an oddly used word, 'oughtened',
>while reading an entry at the nytimes.com reader forum.
>
>A female physician with the handle doccarie posted this:
>
>        I have found that if a lover of any stripe complains about a woman's
>equipment, he's probably doing something he oughtened--he's used to
>equipment that somehow is not standard issue. It is really rare that
>women don't look just fine. Besides, in the heat of it all, who's
>looking exactly?
>
>Above excerpted from
>(http://forums.nytimes.com/top/opinion/readersopinions/forums/magazine/
>thefutureofplasticsurgery/index.html?offset=3&fid=.f891118/3)
>
>The poster may have a firm grip on what she intends, jocular dialect
>perhaps, but Google shows us that 'oughtened' has seemingly
>contradictory applications.  Google has 127 hits for 'oughtened'.  Some
>convey "ought not"

Specifically, "oughtn't", which is standard for many speakers, rare
for others, and totally unfamiliar to still others.  I agree that
when "oughtened" appears with negative meaning, it is indeed an
eggcorn, but for "oughtn't".  Very nice!

Larry