"Clique": kleek? klick?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 4 01:29:37 UTC 2006

>For me, it's:
>click
>nitch
>and fish (fiche)
>
>I remember years back some people (maybe it was the crotchety old
>librarians) ranting and raving not only about the vowel, but even
>the 2nd consonant--that was supposed to be pronounced something like
>German '(i)ch'.  All those people did was cause themselves
>headaches, I think.
>Fritz J

Wonder what version of French they thought should be emulated.  No
versions I know of have palatal fricatives of the sort in "ich".  I
guess the French [sh] is pronounced at a slightly different location
than the English one, but they're both a lot closer to each other
than either is to the German [ç].

As far as "nitch" goes (from other postings), that spelling is far
from unknown on Google.  I like this one, for example:
http://www.pitt.edu/utimes/issues/29/050197/19.html
Cathedral Publishing: Filling a small press nitch on campus.

Larry