Wife's eggcorn

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 4 01:34:02 UTC 2006

At 2:02 PM -0800 1/3/06, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>"Son of a whore" is old in English, older perh. than "son of a bitch."
>
>   I heard it once or twice in New England about thirty years ago,
>and the recent fictional exx. I've seen are all from that area -
>esp. from Maine.
>
>   JL

cf. Shakespeare's "whoreson cur"; I can't recall his using "son of a
bitch" type slurs.  "whoreson" seems to have been around in the 14th
century, according to OED cites, although the dates are a bit
uncertain.  Could "son of a bitch" have originated as a euphemism for
"son of a whore" before displacing it (below Kittery)?

Larry