Online Text News

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Jan 4 15:13:20 UTC 2006

Fred,

Have you given comments to the American Antiquarian Society?  When I
used EAN for the first time there last spring, they expressed
interest in receiving feedback.

Are you really finding 95% false hits?  (I assume you mean false
positives.)  Have you uncovered any false negatives?  (A more
difficult task.)

I find an annoying number of false positives, but nowhere near
95%.  (My biggest gripe would be its very slow response.)  And I have
certainly had successes--for example, finding advertisements for
exhibitions of camels in the northern colonies between 1735 and 1790;
finding dancing-masters from 1704 to 1750.

Joel