ADS-L Digest - 2 Jan 2006 to 3 Jan 2006 (#2006-4)

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Wed Jan 4 15:29:10 UTC 2006

Non-standard 'cause it annoys the snot out of me and I would correct
it in any kind of public, work, or academic writing. I would correct
it as a copy editor unless it needed to be there for some reason
(such as conveying dialect). And I'm not a usage purist, really I'm
not.

But what the heck do I know, Joanne? This was my first time teaching
freshman comp. And I think you were actually asking Dennis and
Jonathan.

And here's the exact usage note  from MW's C11, Dennis:

  used in place of the contraction 've often in representations of
uneducated speech

So,  I think my transmission of their info was erroneous.

---Amy West

(PS Joanne, I like the name change to Websteer. ;-) )