ADS-L Digest - 2 Jan 2006 to 3 Jan 2006 (#2006-4)

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Wed Jan 4 16:13:33 UTC 2006

The question was out there for anyone to answer, Amy.  Thanks for
your reply.  I was just trying to get a sense of whether the usage
note was obsolete because of some shift in the pattern of use and
acceptance of the word, or some such thing.  (I'm a lot more out of
it than you all are, not having taught freshman comp for 15 years!)

Your transmission of the note didn't sound erroneous to me, Amy --
but I thought the unstated implications might need to be spelled
out in case they weren't clear.  Our dictionaries definitely have a
bias toward standard written English in their reporting and explicit
statements.

Joanne