Pokadope: nonce or regional slang?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 6 01:08:53 UTC 2006

It could be a nonce term suggested by "rope-a-dope" via "poke."

  Interestingly, I find one Internet ex. of "pokeadope," with a seemingly different and unclear meaning.

  JL

"Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at UMR.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Cohen, Gerald Leonard"
Subject: Re: Pokadope: nonce or regional slang?

Since Jonathan Lighter never heard of the term, it's likely of extremely limited use. My guess is that we deal here with the humorous word-play of someone who knew some German and Italian..

My first thought when I saw "pokadope" is that this word looks like Italian "poco dopo" (= a little while afterwards). Meanwhile, German has the childish word "Po" (rear-end, backside), which incidentally, I'm told will usually produce giggles among German gradeschoolers the first time they come across the Itialian river Po in a geography lesson.

So someone familiar with German "Po" might have used the Italian "poco dopo" as a humorous extension of this "Po"-- a bit like Lyndon Johnson's once referring to the "do-re-me" (money), intended as a humorous extension of "dough" (money). --- Then shortening to give the term a sense of still more familiarity: hence "pokadope."

This is of course speculation. But what else do we have to go on?

Gerald Cohen

[from Jonathan Ligher, Jan. 4, 2006]: