Re: Truthiness is t he 2005 Word of the Year

Sat Jan 7 17:37:23 UTC 2006

Why is the ADS wasting this valuable superior resource, Barry Popik,
generating putative New Words that Barry would have vetoed? The ADS would save a lot
of time and money if they would just put Barry in charge of selecting the New
Word of the Year and forget about nominating, voting, etc. He could even
proclaim last year's non-New Word of the Year as this year's New Word of the Year.

The only drawback to such a plan that I can see is that the press does not
pay any attention to Barry. Big Apple? Windy City? How can America be SO WRONG?
We make a big deal of the festive pronouncements of an ancient, jolly
organization that has a sense of humor and a marvelous sense of the theatrical
possiblities of lexicography! We ignore the sour rantings of genius!