"righteous" in Chicago Defender

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jan 8 03:58:25 UTC 2006

Thanks Jesse.  And of course I care.

  JL

Jesse Sheidlower <jester at PANIX.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Jesse Sheidlower
Subject: "righteous" in Chicago Defender

Sorry, I deleted the posts in the thread.

I don't find _righteous moss_ in the Chicago Defender, but there is
a 1935 example in the 'great; cool; stylish' sense (Ted Yates writing
the "New York After Dark" column):

1935 _Chicago Defender_ 5 Jan. 8/8 Righteous opening, it was,
at Dickie's new swank spot (formerly the Nest Club) on
Thursday nite last... Packed and jammed as openings usually
are, the crowd rocked, swayed, and razz-a-ma-tazzed till the
wee, wee hours of the mawning'. [ellipsis in orig.]

Note to JEL [surely the only one who cares]: yes, this is Dickie
Wells, of _The Night People_.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED