"righteous" in Chicago Defender

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jan 8 04:00:33 UTC 2006

Slang sleuths and BVE aficionados : I once skimmed  the _Pittsburgh Courier_ (inadequately, I'm sure), but the _St.Louis Argus_ was not then available.

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: "righteous" in Chicago Defender

FWIW, the black newspapers of choice in my family were the Pittsburgh
Courier and the St. Louis Argus. The motivation for reading the local
sheet is obvious, but I was too young at the time to know or care why
my parents chose the Courier over the Defender, though we did read the
latter upon occasion.

-Wilson