"Ghetto" now (also) means "jury-rigged"?

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 9 21:21:50 UTC 2006

Wow...I *never* understood *any* implication of illegality in "ghetto"
(as in "ghetto-blaster"), *never*. The back story I've assumed for it
(going back to the mid-80s) was associated with street life. If music is
important to you, and you're hanging around outside, and you have the
wherewithal to bring your music with you...

More recently, I've seen "ghetto" as a more generic put-down, meaning
something like "tacky".

Alice Faber                                    faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                           tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                        fax (203) 865-8963