"Ghetto" now (also) means "jury-rigged"?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jan 9 23:15:00 UTC 2006

I meant to ask a question, not say I had heard/read the sense
"stolen".  Instead of "stolen", If I'd thought of it I'd have used
the word "bootleg", as in "APPENDED FROM ADDITIONS 1993  bootleg,
n.  Add: [1.] b. A gramophone record or tape prepared without
authorization".  The hand-scanner is built without authorization from
the owners of the patent rights.

Grant Barrett wrote "Wilson and Alice's glosses are similar to mine:
jerry-rigged, improvised, half-assed, knock-off, bootleg, cheap,
tacky."  Are these glosses on the usage re the hand-scanner (although
I don't see all these as synonymous or as equally applicable to this
example)?  Or are they glosses on "ghetto" that you've picked up in
other contexts?

Joel