"affirmative/negative" v. "yes/no"

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Tue Jan 10 01:58:03 UTC 2006

That's a radio transmission, not normal conversation.

--Dave Wilton
  dave at wilton.net
  http://www.wilton.net

bet_code.h
tml

That's the standard NATO phonetic alphabet adopted in 1957. Prior to that,
there were a variety of different ones used.
http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq101-1.htm lists the ones used by the US
Navy over the years as well as the differences between them and the Army
versions. The British armed forces had their own variants.

And I can't recall ever hearing "affirmative" or "negative" in normal
conversation during my Army days--except if the speaker was joking. It's a
movie/TV thing.

--Dave Wilton
dave at wilton.net
http://www.wilton.net