"oral sex" among the Victorians + postil(l)ion

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 11 03:10:31 UTC 2006

At 7:32 PM +0000 1/4/06, neil wrote:
>  > In French, _postillonner_ (v.) and _postillonnage_ (n.) mean the
>>  involuntary action of projecting droplets of saliva while speaking. I
>>  can't find any erotic usage, though.
>
>So says Barrere's "Argot and Slang', Chiswick Press, 1887.
>
>However, Alfred Delvau's 'Dictionnaire Erotique Moderne', published under
>the pseudonym of Louis  De Landes in 1861 has [excuse lack of accents]:
>
>POSTILLION (Faire). Introduire le doigt, ordinairement l'index, dans le
>derriere d'une femme ou d'un homme, pendant l'acte veberien, pour doubler la
>jouissance.
>
>One appreciates the precision of 'l'index' [in spite of legman's 'middle
>finger -- see below] and the inclusiveness of 'ou d'un homme'.

"l'acte veberien"?  For Max Weber?  (Cf. Norman O. Brown on anality,
capitalism, and the Protestant ethic.)  I was formerly unacquainted
with that euphemism, if euphemism it be.

And I also wonder how precisely the "pour doubler la jouissance" is computed...

larry, just getting around to the e-mail piled up during the ADS/LSA