"Clenched Fist" symbol (1967-1968)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 12 05:32:13 UTC 2006

"Howard Stern's 'Defiant Fist' a Time-Tested Symbol" is the page one story
in Wednesday's New York Sun. Fists are shown from Howard Stern, Critical Mass,
Earth First, Rasiej (failed NYC Public Advocate candidate in 2005), and the
Black Panthers.
NY SUN: "The fist in the air was actually a symbol from the Tennessee  Valley
Authority. It meant electricity for all," Mr. Rasiej explained, referring  to
the New Deal program of the 1930s.
Nobody, of course, asked me. I've done numerous other hand symbols, from
"OK" to "V." My father owner the Lightmore Company in Spring Valley and used the
eact same symbol that Rasiej used, with the clenched fist and lightning  bolt.
The 1968 Mexico City Olympics and Tommie Smith and John Carlos were
mentioned, but the clenched fist salute was popular before that.
A quick ProQuest search for "clenched fist" and "symbol" or "Black  Panthers"
show hits mostly from 1967.
_SENIORS'  GIFT WILL REST IN PEACE_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=36&did=510361922&SrchMode=1&sid=5&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS
=1137042580&clientId=65882)
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current  File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Mar 17, 1967. p.
F6 (1 page) :
A sundial,  donated to the school by the 1970 graduating class, had come
under attack by  some members of the community because it contained a brick inlay
containing a  peace symbol.
Mrs. Leon Riley told trustees that many persons equated the symbol with the
clenched fist as a symbol used by revolutionaries.
_ACCUSED  OF KILLING OFFICER; Courthouse Crowd Hails Militant Negro _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=520991462&SrchMode=1&sid=6&Fmt=10&VInst=PR
OD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1137042734&clientId=65882)
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.:  Jan 28, 1968. p.
G15 (1 page) :
Newton, 25, the former defense minister of the Black Panthers, responded
with an upraised clenched fist to symbolize Panther unity.
_'CLENCHED  FIST' CASE; Students Readmitted After Flag Incident _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=41&did=527450322&SrchMode=1&sid=5&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&
VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1137042287&clientId=65882)
Los  Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Nov 3, 1968. p.
OC14 (1 page)