anyone catch the Colbert Report tonight?

Michael Adams madams1448 at AOL.COM
Fri Jan 13 14:05:15 UTC 2006

All of what Larry mentions was taped and Colbert had some really funny
the segment "coherent" from what was taped) they went with what we all
saw (the proceedings were spliced up to the extent that I said on air
that I didn't know about the show, whereas I watch it frequently -- I
don't even remember the questions to which I answered "Ah, no.")

All in all, I think that the ADS should be pleased with the result of
our choice from the media perspective that Barry (with the best
intentions) derides -- we have had four nights of good ADS press (the
ADS gave the honor, I gave the insult) to the 18-36 demographic, many
of whom had never heard of the American Dialect Society or WOTY. Next
year, when they hear about WOTY, they'll know what it is, even if they
can't remember why. Also, though I understand others' reservations (had
Barry been at the meeting, he would know why we didn't choose Katrina
-- it helps to have participated in the discussion), the word is a good
choice: it is zeitgeisty and it participates in burgeoning use of -y
suffixed forms. Anatoly Liberman apparently endorses it among important
2005 words, and that's saying something.