Claim for origin of "Cruisazy"

AAllan at AOL.COM AAllan at AOL.COM
Fri Jan 13 14:44:38 UTC 2006

The following communication arrived recently. I replied as follows below it.
Note that I said "may" rather than "will," but if her claim is indeed true, we
might want to add a short comment to that effect in our official
announcement. - Allan
> From - Deborah Goldstein <deb at misswit.net>
Subject - The Originator of Cruisazy

January 8, 2006

To Whom it May Concern:

In reference to the article by Heather Clark from the Assoicated Press,
Linguists gather to vote on 2005 Words of the Year I am most pleased
that the word Cruisazy is up for the linguist vote, however I find it
disturbing that credit for the word and definition has not been given,
as though it had no origin or as if the linguists themselves created
it.  The NY POST's Page Six along with  NY Magazine, Philadelphia
Weekly and countless web sites around the globe have recognized this as
a NEOLOGISM created and defined by MissWit.net  in June of 2005 - as
the New York Post writes:  SIGHTINGS . . .
TATUM O'Neal at Mod World on First Street, buying a T-shirt showing Tom
Cruise's beaming face over the neologism "Cruisazy," which designer
MissWit defines as, "To be like Tom Cruise. To act in a way that is Tom
Cruise-like. To know something completely, that others do not."  Google
Cruisazy, see where it leads, always to MissWit!
It's totally cruisazy that you should leave this valuable information
out!  Where is the truthiness in your reporting?

Thank you.
Deborah Goldstein aka MissWit.net
Brooklyn, NY

Google Cruisazy, noticed the dates before this artcle and where they
lead....to Japan, Brazil, Germany.....

Dear Ms. Goldstein:

Thank you for your recent communication to the Linguistic Society, which was
forwarded to me as executive of the American Dialect Society, the sponsoring
organization for the Words of the Year vote.

We are always interested in the origins of the words we discuss. I will pass
your information on to our membership, and in due course the origin of
"Cruisazy" may be included in the official announcement of our Words of the Year, on
our website www.americandialect.org.

Best wishes - Allan Metcalf